Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Work, Etc.

Bike Kill 2006 is almost here!

We had a staff meeting this morning at work - my boss, Deborah Berke, looked at my bike (which was leaning against my desk in plain view) and asked whether I planned to keep riding my bike every day no matter how cold it gets. I told her that WAS my plan, but I would have to see how cold it gets. Deborah and the firm have been the most incredibly accomodating employers you could imagine. They encourage me to leave my bikes out where clients can see them and they built me a shower when the office relocated. Several times a week, clients stop to look at whatever bike I rode that day and ask questions about commuting, fixed gear bikes, racing, whatever. It is a nice diversion, so far nobody has asked to try out a fixed gear in the office. If they ask they can try it!



The red pursuit bike got a flat last night on the way home - dammit! Some inconsiderate construction worker left a big hole all the way across the road on Flushing Avenue - pinch flat. This drives me crazy - the flat is easy enough to deal with, but people can crash badly in a hole that deep and it is difficult to spot them in the dark. On the upside - home was only a few blocks away and it wasn't raining!



A small group of guys got together at the Lakeside Lounge last night to have a quick drink and shoot the breeze. I had a great short talk with a guy who is thinking about starting architecture school. It seems as though everyone who is contemplating architecture school hears a lot of awful things about the profession from practicing architects, I am happy to be one of the positive voices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home