Sunday, October 01, 2006

A Gentle Weekend



I met up with some friends on Friday after work. We gathered at Chelsea piers to watch the sunset. My friends Chombo gave my KHS pursuit bike a test ride. Actually, he gave it a few test skids - the geometrey of this bike makes it easy to take weight off of back wheel and skid for long distances. After the sunset, I rode to the Brecht Forum to meet Valerie - a new friend of mine, Oscar Riquelme, had a few pieces in the "war and peace" show. I really like Oscar's paintings - you can see some of his work at the Russell Collection in Austin, TX.




Saturday was a pretty lazy day, in the afternoon Roscoe and I rode to the DUMBO section of Brooklyn to shoot some pictures. I am writing a review of cycling knickers for the Fixed Gear Gallery and we needed some beefcake photos to accompany the text. I will post a link to the review when it is published. Roscoe had a question - he had noticed some wooden enclosures that started springing up on back porches and balconies in the Hasidic neighborhoods. Mystery solved, thanks to wikipedia and some vague hints from Valerie. Here is a picture of one of the Sukkot enclosures.




Saturday evening I had dinner with some dear old friends, Rick and Carol. We walked to Hasaki restaurant from their East Village apartment and met Valerie for dinner. Yummy sushi! Valerie surprised us all by picking up the tab for the entire dinner, we were all grateful; sushi isn't cheap!

Valerie and I were both on bike (she had her monster Huffy) so we decided to ride back to Brooklyn together. That bike of hers serves a purpose, she can leave it locked up anywhere without fear of someone stealing it - and it doesn't matter if it gets rained on; it's good errand bike for NYC. But the damned thing squeaks a lot - in fact, I am going to post this entry and go lube her hubs and chain right now. This is her on the Williamsburg Bridge at night, leather jacket with zipper trim and go-go boots on a 50 pound Huffy. Hell yeah!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home