Sunday, January 14, 2007

Starting the New Year


I kicked off the new year in Sanibel Island, Florida. I rented a crappy beach cruiser from Billy's Bike Rentals. The bike was J-U-N-K....rear wheel nearly flat and out of true, also set crooked in the dropouts. I think I rode it 20 miles the first day and every pedal stroke was like riding through sand. The first night, the bottom bracket started making a clanking noise and then suddenly refused to turn at all. Valerie and I left the bike locked to a stop sign. We both got on her bike and I pedaled us to dinner - we nearly missed our reservation! (The picture at the top of this post is the Sanibel Lighthouse - built in the late 19th century and probably the only significant piece of architecture I saw on the island.)


The most fun thing about Sanibel was all the wildlife. Tons of birds, gators, shells, & old people. They also have a great bike path that runs off-road for nearly the full length of the island.


I have joined RUSA so that I can start doing rides to qualify for Paris Brest Paris this year!

I took this last picture at the Ft. Meyer's airport - I was oddly happy to see the cop on a bicycle riding around inside the airport. I put away the camera before they decided I was a security threat.

2 Comments:

Blogger roscoe said...

no Manatees?

8:34 AM  
Blogger Roberto said...

No - but lots of other fat things!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home